Invisalign has now been around as an alternative to braces for almost 20 years. More and more people are choosing it because of the comfort, convenience, and discreetness. Learn more about what Invisalign is and how it works below.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a modern method of straightening teeth. It involves a series of custom-made, clear aligners that move your teeth into place as you wear them. The aligners are made of BPA-free plastic that is comfortable, smooth, and will not irritate your gums and cheeks. You can remove the aligners to eat and brush your teeth, allowing more freedom than traditional braces.
How does Invisalign work?
The first step is to make an appointment with Dental Innovations to discuss whether Invisalign is right for you. Next, we’ll take pictures, impressions, and x-rays of your teeth to create a comprehensive 3-D image. We will come up with a treatment plan for you, which will include an approximate length of treatment and how your teeth will change over the process. You’ll then get your custom-made aligners. Each set will be worn for two weeks, for at least 20 hours per day.
Is Invisalign right for you?
Invisalign can be used to treat the following conditions:
- Gapped teeth—Gaps between your teeth may be caused by abnormal growth or missing teeth. Your unprotected gums may put you at a higher risk of gum disease.
- Overbite—An overbite is when your top teeth bite over the bottom teeth. It can be caused by bad oral habits, genetics, or overdevelopment of the jaw bones. If untreated, an overbite can cause painful jaw/joint problems or wear down the lower set of teeth.
- Underbite—An underbite is when your bottom teeth jet out past the top teeth. It is usually a result of undergrowth of the bottom jaw. An underbite interferes with the normal function of your front teeth and molars and can cause painful jaw/joint problems.
- Open bite—An open bite is when your top and bottom teeth don’t touch in some places. It is usually a result of genetics or too much thumb-sucking as a child. If untreated, it can lead to speech impairment, pain when chewing, or TMJ.
- Crowding—When there is not enough room in your jaw for all of your teeth to fit, they can become overly crowded. If not treated, teeth can get more crooked and put you at a higher risk for tooth decay and gum disease.
- Crossbite—When both of your jaws are not aligned properly, it is called crossbite. If not treated, it can lead to gum disease, bone loss, and increased wear on the teeth.
Invisalign is great if you are a teen or adult, and you are committed to wearing your aligners for as long as required. Contact Dental Innovations with any questions about Invisalign or to schedule a consultation!
SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT